05 November 2008

Finally


For as long as I've known him, my husband has been fantasizing about "a charismatic leader" for this country, someone in the mold of JFK. Last night he got his wish.

We spent the evening at an election night party on the next block. What a wonderful contrast to 2000, when the mood started out fairly optimistic but turned nightmarishly grim. There were tears of joy this time around, instead of rage and frustration.

It's raining this morning in Portland, but the future of this country seems brighter than it has in years. Good luck, Barack. It ain't gonna be easy.

1 comment:

Terry Grant said...

Such a great night. My support was never about race, but I was surprised how emotional I felt about the historic significance of our first black president. My grandchild will never really know that this was once considered impossible.